Old August 14th 16, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Aperture's Future

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I was very happy with an even earlier version of OSX, OS X 10.6, which
might have been considered as Apple's XP, and like XP it had reached its
end of life and was no longer supported. So when updates to software
such as PS and Lightroom were no longer developed for the defunct OS's
updating OS and software was a no-brainer for me. Now my 2010 iMac is
running quite happily on OS X 10.11.6, "El Capitan", and will be able to
run macOS 10.12 "Sierra".

[]

Whilst your 2010 Apple will run the next OSX, a 2011 iPad will not the
next iOS.

so what? one's a desktop system and the other is a mobile system, with
different use cases.

Quite an early obsolescence for an expensive device.

ipads are anything *but* expensive, starting at $269.

My 2009
and 2011 portables are both quite happily running Windows-10 latest release.

so what? those aren't mobile devices. compare like with like. android
to ios or mac to windows. a 2009 mac runs the latest macos just fine,
as does a 2007 era mac.

a 2011 android device won't run anything close to the latest release of
anrdroid. it likely shipped with gingerbread (or honeycomb if it was a
tablet) and probably stops at ice cream sandwich.

that means no jellybean, kitkat, lollipop, marshmellow or nougat.

quite a few android devices from 2014, just 2 years ago, don't get
updates to the latest version, and prior to that, you can pretty much
forget it.

*3* year old android devices, sometimes 2 years old, orphaned.

not only that, but motorola has announced they won't be offering
monthly security updates for the moto g4, and that's a *current*
device!!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...that-it-will-n
ot-commit-to-monthly-security-patches/
Motorola has clarified the update situation of the Moto Z and Moto
G4, calling Android's monthly security updates "difficult" and
deciding not to*commit to them.

put simply, apple fully supports ios devices for about 5 years, versus
1-2 for android.

I might actually have bought a newer iPad last year, but the increase in
cost wasn't justified by the increase in function. I had hoped for a
better camera, but that was only on the top of the range iPhone.

nonsense.

the current ipad pro has the same 12 megapixel camera as the iphone 6s,
along with a *much* better display (wide gamut).

Since
then, the camera on the Moto G3 phone has proved to be very capable, and
actually better in quality than my iPad camera, and a lot more
convenient to use. So there will have to be a reason other than a
better camera to upgrade.

it might be convenient, but that's about it.

I'm finding less and less reason to take the iPad on a day trip, as I
can do almost everything - perhaps even everything - on the Moto G3
phone (including some programs which aren't available for the iPad).

then you're not using the ipad to its potential.

there's a *****load* of stuff an ipad or iphone can do that a moto g3
can't.