Old May 22nd 16, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Canon S-120 versus Canon G7X

Hi Fred,

I am grateful to you for your comments.

Digital photography, and digital music recording, have indeed progressed
quite rapidly. I clearly remember Kodachrome 10 going up to ASA 25,and
it was a big deal. Younger photographers do not realize the anguish and
uncertainty that occurred when a shoot on Kodachrome was sent to Kodak,
and one had to wait 10-14 days for the slides to come back.Likewise,
going from my 28 pound Revox tape recorder to a pocket sized digital
recorder was a step toward musical heaven.

I am now content that my newly gifted Canon G7X and my pocketable Canon
S-120 are both reliable and meet my current needs.

Mort Linder

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

By being careful with my picture taking, I can get good images and
prints up to 8x10", even after modest cropping, and that is all that I
currently need.

Mort-

It is impressive how much digital cameras have advanced in a relatively
short period of time. I think the technology has passed the point where
it needs to be for casual photography.

With one of my early cameras, I found that a one megapixel image would
produce a reasonable 8" X 10" photo. For the same dots-per-inch, a 10
megapixel image would produce a reasonable 25" X 30" photo and a 40
megapixel image would produce a 50" X 60" photo.

Since you view larger photos from a greater distance, they could be even
larger for the same dots-per-inch. In other words, either of your
cameras might produce a photo that could be used for a billboard!

I have a Canon G11. When I "upgraded" to the G1X, there was no
significant improvement until I tried cropping a face out of a crowd.
The G1X has a few more megapixels and probably a sharper lens. I think
you will find the same relationship between your S-120 and G7X.

Fred