Old May 21st 16, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Canon S-120 versus Canon G7X

Hi,

I would appreciate any comments about this.

I have been using a pair of Canon S-120 pocket cameras for casual and
semi-serious picture taking, especially on the road. I am a long-term
amateur , who remembers working with Kodachrome at ASA 10 and then 25.

I was recently gifted a Canon G7X, which although small is certainly
larger than the S-120. It is said to have a sensor made by Sony that is
larger than that in the S-120 and supposedly allowing sharper images and
better highlight detail.

Scientist that I am, I did some parallel tests under several conditions:
daylight, indoors, flash, distance shots, close-us, etc.. I shoot best
quality JPEG.

I then carefully viewed the images, both on my H.D. screen and with 8x10
prints, utilizing a hand magnifier where necessary.

I realize the limitations of testing with a series of only one each, but
there is no way that I could test 10 samples of each camera.

In any event, I found no difference in sharpness, color rendition,
contrast range, and highlight details , between the two. Isn't the
camera with a larger and supposedly superior sensor supposed to give
better results? Are other factors, such as lens quality and software in
camera also of major importance?

Thanks.

Mort Linder