Old July 15th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:52:49 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')

With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.

That said, with today's low noise sensors, f/8 is not the barrier to
some photography that it used to be. (Shooting in the woods, for example).

I know the general reputation and problems of mirror lenses. I also
know some brands are more highly (less lowly?) regarded than others. I
was wondering where the Bower lens stood in the pecking order.

Eric Stevens