Old December 18th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Markus Fuenfrocken

Default 2 questions about digital cameras

Hi Neal,

"Neil Jones" wrote:
I do like the Canon Powershot G10. Considering it's lineage, I would
consider it as a prosumer camera. Where do the experts in the field
create the demarcation for point-and-shoot cameras between the consumer,
prosumer, professional cameras?

In the compact class, prosumer defines a camera with full manual control of
settings like aperture, shutter speed and so on. Also, it normally has
additional features like external flash shoe, a good fast lens, maybe tilt
and swivel LCD, iintegrated ND filter and so on. Yes, the G series has
always be regarded as a prosumer cam. Unfortunately, the G10 does not have a
swivel lcd and fast lens anymore (G6 was the last one), but has a wider zoom
range and IS now. And lots of megapixels. See
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/ for a full review. I donīt like
the samples much. There is too much smearing of details even at iso 80.

My second question is, What other brands are out there that are
competing for the Canon G10 consumers? (looking for prosumer
point-and-shoot cameras list only). This way I can compare them and buy
the one that fits my needs.

A similar camera s the Nikon Coolpix P6000

Also look for those so called "bridge cams" or slr-lke superzoom cams that
have a very
wide stabilized zoom range like the Canon SX10, Panasonic Lumix FZ50,
Olympus SP-570UZ or Fuji Finepix S9100.
You can try to search via http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp for
the features you need.

HTH,