Old December 18th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Jones[_3_]

Default 2 questions about digital cameras

Hi,

I am looking into digital cameras. Previously I owned a Canon Powershot
G3. After I sold that, my wife and I got a Powershot SD1000 as a gift.
Now I am looking around again for camera that I like.

At the time I got Powershot G3, it was considered a "Prosumer" camera.
Now, when I searched for a "prosumer camera", I get a listing of Digital
SLR cameras too. I am trying to stay with "point and shoot" although I
do love some of the SLR cameras that I found (which are out of my price
range now).

I do like the Canon Powershot G10. Considering it's lineage, I would
consider it as a prosumer camera. Where do the experts in the field
create the demarcation for point-and-shoot cameras between the consumer,
prosumer, professional cameras?

My second question is, What other brands are out there that are
competing for the Canon G10 consumers? (looking for prosumer
point-and-shoot cameras list only). This way I can compare them and buy
the one that fits my needs.

Thank you in advance for any information and advice.

NJ