Old February 10th 04, 01:27 AM
DBob

Default Problem: Portra 160NC w Wescott Apollo Micro

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:43:50 -0600, wrote:

Hello,

I shot some photos a a family gathering at a restarurant using Kodak
Portra 160NC (Nikon F100 wSB-28DX flash) with a Wescott Apollo Micro
Flash diffuser/modifer attached to the flash. Many of the photos came
back looking almost "fuzzy" or "sepia-shaded" (as best as I can
describe the effect). Since the room was rectangular some of the
background came out very dark when the shot was on the long axis of
the room but I expected that. What I did not expect was how the color
was impacted by the diffuser. Some of the ligher skinned persons
faces came out very "pinkish" and others who were dark skinned came
out very dark and "shadowy".

This was my first time using the Wescott so I was experimenting to
check on the effect. With some expections I did not like it with this
film. I've used the same film/camera/flash combination with excellent
results but was looking for a "softer" effect on candid shots. Would
the effect be the same if I used Portra 400UC?

Thanks in advance to anyone sharing their experience or advice.

Rene

You didn't say how you were metering the flash. The SB-28X is a
fairly powerful little unit and shouldn't have trouble punching
through the Apollo Micro (I've got both). How far away were your
subjects, and what kind of ambient light was present? Check this out
with your flash meter to see how much it actually attenuates the
flash.

I finally got tired of fighting these types of flash units and got a
Quantum-X 400 W-S portable unit, there's no substitute for having
plenty of light when you need it, especially for group shots. I
almost always bounce the flash or use it bare bulb to create a more
pleasing effect.