Old March 2nd 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Thoughts on SOOC

On 2016-03-02 17:10:08 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 02/03/2016 16:41, Neil wrote:
On 3/1/2016 11:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

This notion has always puzzled me. Is not capturing the best rendition
of a subject the important part of photography? If so, whether one has
to crop irrelevant content, adjust color and tonality or any other
manipulation to accomplish that end is just part of the overall process,
as is whatever is 'SOOC'.

I go for minimum processing, so try to get the exposure as correct as
possible straight from the camera. However, sometimes cropping is
needed, and sometimes colour balance adjustments. I have found that
using an iPad as a camera can slow you down, forcing you to think a
little more about the image you are making, but I still prefer my Moto
G3 phone and, of course, my Panasonic GX7 for best results and most
flexibility.

An iPad is a bit awkward to use for general photography, but having the
large display can certainly help develop composition skills which can
be adapted for use with a regular camera system.

While some folks produce decent images with phone cameras, for me my
iPhone is only a camera of convenience/last resort, and I will always
prefer to shoot with a DSLR or my current favorite tool, my Fujifilm
X-E2.

One of the interesting features that Fuji has is its set of in-camera
film emulations and in-camera RAW processing tools.

Savageduck