Old January 5th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default Canon - A630, A640, S3 IS and the near future

You're getting hung up on mp. I've gotten perfectly good 8x10
from a 2mp canon A40. You don't mention the A710s, that looks
like a nice camera, would like to see the swivel lcd on it but
it is 6x zoom.

In this case, I certainly am. I have a very good 5mp camera, but
get 240 dpi of data or so when I print out 8x10. Works great for
many photos, but I would prefer to have a camera that gives me at
least a full 300 dpi of resolveable detail for some key macro
shots and such.

I understand some people are happy with 8x10's even with cameras
that are 4 megapixels or less, but I'm simply not one of them, at
least not in all situations. I'd say my 5mp is good for about
80% of what I do, but I do want another camera that can give me
the finer detail I crave. If the S3 IS had 8mp or 10mp, I'd be
all over it.

I was not even aware of the A710, and am glad you pointed it out
to me. Thanks for that - I'll give it a look. It may be only
7.1mp, but it seems a good bargain for what you get.

Thanks