Old January 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bluezfolk

Default Canon - A630, A640, S3 IS and the near future

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.

The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.

I look at the Canon A630 and A640 and they are also close, except
for the zoom. 4x is better than 3x as far as optical zoom, but
not the image stabilized 10x or greater zoom I have been wanting.

But the fact that the A640 is out, and only around $350 online
and does 10 megapixel, it is pretty tempting. Still uses AA
batteries, which I dig.

If I could combine the A640 and the S3 IS into one camera, I'd be
happy. But as it is, I'm not sure what to do.

If the S3 IS is going to also get a boost in megapixels, I'd go
for that first. But if not, the A640 looks good.

I have been wondering if there is any info out there about an
update to the S3 IS in the near future that would push it to at
least 8 megapixels. Does anyone have any info on what may be
ahead?

Thanks

After giving it plenty of thought I bought a Canon A710is. Nice
zoom range, 7MP (which I'll never need) stabilized, plenty of things to
play around with, good price. I even got the guy to throw in one of
those magnetic WA lenses with a good macro for $15 more. It might not
be the thing for you, but its great for me, have you checked out the
Sony DMC-H5 it has more MP than the Canon S3is?

Eric

Eric