Old February 24th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Mr.T

Default New Canon TX-1 Looks Weird

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
There's no standard that I know of for splitting such a file and
making the second piece findable in a transparent manner. If you're
only going to play back in the camera it's not an issue, but if you
have to be able to play back without knowing what software the user is
going to be running then you need to use a compatible naming
convention and there is no standard for the naming convention.

Irrelevant. The user simply opens both files into his editor whatever they
are called. And since when did the manufacturer ever care what software the
user had? They usually provide software of their own, and if you want to use
something else, then the problem is up to THAT company. :-)

Anyway WHY does everything have to be done in the camera when computers and
software can do it so much better? As long as the camera can save the file/s
you can write software to convert/combine/rename it however you want. (And
that is usually a trivial exercise anyway)

Similarly what is wrong with using NTFS these days anyway?

First, there's the problem of actually writing to NTFS using a
non-Microsoft operating system. The Linux people have been trying to
develop this capability for as long as I can remember and last time I
upgraded my kernel it was still broken--Apple has tried to do the same
and last I heard it was still broken on their system as well, so the
camera manufacturer would either have to run some form of Windows on
their camera or figure out how to do something that has proven beyond
the capabilities of some of the sharpest programmers in the industry.
Then theres the matter of _reading_ it. OS/X can, sort of, Linux has
had read support off and on and sometimes broken, the only OS that can
be _counted_ on to read NTFS is Windows and not all versions of
_that_.

Well obviously you don't need to use NTFS if your destination is not Windows
XP/Vista!
And if you want to use it, then unfortunately you need to license it from
Bill. Probably a good reason to stay with multiple FAT32 files, as most
manufacturers have done so far, I suppose.

MrT.