Old August 7th 13, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nibbling on an Apple

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

no. it's a higher level concept.

it's actually a database indexed by content, not a rigid file/folder
structure. one photo can be in multiple albums, something not possible
with a file system.

You have an odd idea of "not possible".

nothing odd about it. i have an understanding of file systems and you
do not.

I suppose what you've said
means something to some people, but I put the same image in several
folders by using "Copy to:".

no, you made a copy. now you have *two* (or more) photos, one in each
folder.

you *cannot* have one photo in more than one folder. it is *not*
possible.

worse, *you* have to manage it. if you change one photo, you then have
to then re-copy them to all of the other folders, assuming you remember
where they all were.

Don't bother to explain. I don't give a rat's ass if it's a copy of
the same file or an index system accessing the same file. I guess
that makes me a hater of higher level concepts.

translated: you don't want to be proven wrong yet again, so you'll just
start off on the attack.

Actually, I prefer a
copy since any changes affect the copy only.

you can still make changes and have two versions.

it's blatantly clear you haven't a clue and are talking out your ass
again.

it's the same for music. you can search music by various things, such
as artist, album, genre or title. you can also create playlists with
whatever you want in them. as with photos, one song can be in multiple
playlists (or no playlists).

playlists can also be smart and automatically update themselves based
on rules you define, such as least recently played, rated 4 * or higher
or music from the '60s or some other ruleset. if you play a song, it's
automatically removed from least recently played and if you downrate it
to 3* or less, it will be removed from the 4* or better playlist, all
automatically.

Whoop-de-doo.

whop-de-do right back.

none of that is possible with the file system alone.