Old September 26th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech
EarlyFilm

Default Variable Density Greyscale Film for audio

Scott Dorsey asks:

2234 is SLOW. Grain structure is good, and the gamma is very low but
easily controlled. What's the approximate ASA or photorecording sensitivity
on that stuff? It's got to be insane. Less than 5366 even.

Early film replied:
At 60 gamma, 5234/2234 has an ASA of between 5 and 10 tungsten,
depending on the exact mixture and temperature of the chemistry.

Scott states:
And I should expect to gain about half a stop if I run it through the
reversal machine, I hope.

Scott, If you plan on printing it, a reversal "negative" will sound like
crap. If you project the original, it might sound OK but all direct
recording that I've heard sounds greatly inferior to properly exposed
negative-to-positive track.

Where, may I ask, will you get it processed reversal since the EPA has
come down on the chemicals formerly used?

It has been 25 years since I reversed any 7234 and I don't remember the
speed shift, just that it was a pain in the arse to get consistent
results -- and that was for picture use. When you are making a burn
matt and a holdback matt at the same time, if you screw either one up,
you must do both over again to achieve perfect alignment. I only used
7234 D/N stock when the job forced me to use a panchromatic stock for
the matts. (The specialty stocks used for 35mm matts were not made in
16mm. For matts, I preferred to use either sound recording stock or
7366 finegrain stock, both of which are ortho.)

Earl.