Old February 28th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography

Default CROSS-POSTING, OR MULTI-POSTING, OR NEITHER?

William Graham wrote:

What's the netiquette or group charter position on this? Should we not
reply to these cross/multi posts? - except this one, of course {:-)

I can only speak for myself, but this is what I do. - I don't look at the
header at all. If a post interests me enough such that I compose a reply,
then I make my reply, and simply click on, "send". I presume it will get to
the original poster. Should I eliminate any of the groups, then I don't know
if it will.
This could be eliminated if everyone posted under a real, legitimate
email address as I do. Many, however, seem to have a fear of that, and for
some reason or other, insist on using email addresses that are somehow
shrouded in mystery. Perhaps these people like to think that they are agents
of the CIA, or some such thing.
In any case, since I can't post to the originator of the message
directly, I have little choice but to send my post to every group on his
list, so that is what I do.

William:

If you thought of the post in terms of not so much as going to the
original sender, but to lots of people who read each of the groups,
perhaps that'd motivate you to examine where it's going. It'd help a lot
of people if you did. The OP should be following each of the groups to
which he posts; therefor trimming out extraneous groups is highly valued
by ..... the rest of the group who now don't have to read about politics
in the photo groups, for example.

cordially,

john mcwilliams