Old June 11th 04, 12:50 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default Looking for a monopod - what kind of head do I choose ?

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
i.nl...
Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

I have the Velbon MUP 4-G. It's a heavy metal monster. But really solid. I
don't use it much, but it'll hold my extreme telephoto lens (150mmg) rock
solid.

Velbon has a new line of CF monopods (Sherpa pro pods) that look like CF
versions of the MUP 4-G. The top of the line is taller than I need, and I'm
6'2".

http://www.studiospirala.cz/velbon/table_mono_pods.htm

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly

be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera

directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I just use the same head I use on my tripod.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan