Old June 10th 04, 10:24 PM
Alan Browne

Default Looking for a monopod - what kind of head do I choose ?

Philippe Lauwers wrote:

Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I'm not familiar with the flexible head (seen it in the catalog,
but that's it).

I use a medium sized ball head to good effect, although with
collar mount lenses this needs a little rehearsal to avoid
clumsiness (eg, you forget to tighten the collar then you loosen
the ball and have a dual articulated finger pincher).

Recently some photographers here (Tuthill, Kirkpatrick,
"Banidcoot") have advised the use of a "single axis" head which
tilts fore-aft, but not sideways. This is the optimum and
possibly cheaper than a ball head. But a ball head works fine
too if you want to share it 'tween a tripod and the mono.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--