Old September 28th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Default Opinion sought: Omega 45D

K W Hart wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
K W Hart wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
snip
It occurs to me that I may need to get an Epson transparency scanner.
Not quite as sharp as my Nikon 9000ED, but should more than suffice (v.
drum scans at $25-$30 per pop).
Aw, come on! If you are going to the trouble to shoot 4x5, print them
optically! How about this enlarger family-
http://eseco-speedmaster.com/imagingsystems.html ? I have the
Eseco-Speedmaster AF-45, and I think it's a fantastic piece of gear.

I'm sure it is but, there is no way I'm going the enlarger route. It's
bad enough that I'll have to take the film in for dev downtown (where they
conveniently have that drum scanner, damnit).

Is there a tank system to do E-6 at this size?.
I found a DIY system: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
that will do 2 sheets at a time. Not a process I'd like to do, however.

There are basically three methods of developing sheet film, whether B&W,
color neg, or transparency.
1. Tray processing. Must be done in darkness and temp control can be
difficult
2. Tank processing where the film is around the perimeter of the tank. Uses
small amount of chemicals, but can only handle a couple pieces of film at a
time
3. Tank processing where the film is held in some sort of holder and covered
with chems. Uses considerably more chems, but can handle perhaps a dozen
sheets at a time.
Personnally, I use an old Unicolor drum (#2 above) that can handle one
8x10, or two 5x7, or four 4x5's

As for chemicals, generally the developer has the shortest life. I use
Trebla brand for c-41 color negative film. It's sized to make five liters,
but it can be mixed in smaller quantities. Trebla does make e-6; I'm not
familiar with it, but I would guess it can also be mixed in small
quantities.

All in all, given the small number of sheets I would do per year, I'd
probably have E-6 processed downtown.