Old July 24th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Graham Fountain

Default Creating true B&W prints from Digital

Ray wrote:
I just grayscaled the image and printed on an inkjet. Results are awful.
Some of the more expensive cameras have a B&W setting. I'd like somebody
post a binary from a camera that has the B&W setting.

Turning a colour image to B&W by just grayscaling/desaturating normally
gives pretty dull results. In photoshop, the channel mixer allows a bit
better control, resulting in better control of contrast. A little play
with gamma then and you normally have a pretty decent result. I don't
think it truly represents what can be done with B&W film, but makes a
reasonable substitute.

Output of B&W with most inkjets though is pretty bad - most use a mix of
black and colour inks which results in your grays becoming muddy, you
usually end up with a colour cast (which can often change depending on
how light or dark the area is), and black areas end up with an unnatural
sheen to them. These limitations of inkjet were what I was hoping to
overcome by printing a neg onto transparency, then printing that neg in
the darkroom. My reasoning being that inkjets can produce a reasonable
range of densities from light to dark, but because they use colours to
do it, they look awful. If those densities were then reproduced in a B&W
only medium (ie printing on B&W paper), then hopefully the results will
be ok.