Old July 24th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Creating true B&W prints from Digital

Claudio Bonavolta spake thus:

Graham Fountain a écrit :

I had the following thoughts on how to create a true B&W print from a
digital image, and was wondering if anyone here had tried it or what
your thoughts are on the technique. If someone has tried it and it is
hopeless, then I won't fork out the $$ to try it myself. Basically my
idea is to invert the image in whatever photo editor software to
create a negative image. Print this negative image at the output size
on a piece of transparency paper. Then contact print the negative
image on B&W paper and process as per normal.
I can't see why it wouldn't work, although I don't know how the
quality would compare - I wonder how a contact printed 8x10 inkjet
negative would compare to a 35mm neg enlarged optically.

An alternative is to use imagesetter (machines that are used to produce
high resolution films for offset printing) output but results vary
greatly on the service bureau you can find. I wasn't lucky to find a
good one, prices very to high and imagesetters are quickly disappearing
in my country being replaced by CTP (computer-to-plate) technology.

Just keep in mind that what you'll get from this will *not* be a
continuous-tone negative, but a screened one. You can have them set the
screen frequency very high (i.e., dot size very small), which will tend
towards continuous-tone, but it's still going to be a bunch of dots.
(I'm sure you realize this, just pointing this out for others.)

--
I think someone should unplug the entire Internet and let us start
all over again. This time, make sure that Sergey Brin, Larry Page,

- Daniel Brandt, on Wikipedia Review (http://wikipediareview.com)