Old July 24th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

Default Creating true B&W prints from Digital

Graham Fountain a écrit :
I had the following thoughts on how to create a true B&W print from a
digital image, and was wondering if anyone here had tried it or what
your thoughts are on the technique. If someone has tried it and it is
hopeless, then I won't fork out the $$ to try it myself. Basically my
idea is to invert the image in whatever photo editor software to create
a negative image. Print this negative image at the output size on a
piece of transparency paper. Then contact print the negative image on
B&W paper and process as per normal.
I can't see why it wouldn't work, although I don't know how the quality
would compare - I wonder how a contact printed 8x10 inkjet negative
would compare to a 35mm neg enlarged optically.

Dan Burkholder (http://www.danburkholder.com/) and Mark Nelson
(http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/) are known for using this
technique for years.
Mark has also a mailing list where adepts discuss this technique:

It works very well for alternative techniques but for silver gelatin it
seems still somewhat difficult to obtain perfect results.

An alternative is to use imagesetter (machines that are used to produce
high resolution films for offset printing) output but results vary
greatly on the service bureau you can find. I wasn't lucky to find a
good one, prices very to high and imagesetters are quickly disappearing
in my country being replaced by CTP (computer-to-plate) technology.

I'm waiting either that inkjet improves to use digital negatives or that
a true digital enlarger for the advanced amateur hits the market.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch