Old February 25th 04, 01:45 AM
Jean-David Beyer

Default Nikon 50mm f4.0 vs. 50mm f2.8

Sheldon Strauss wrote:
There is reason the F4 costs less. I have one of the 50mm f2.8 and
love it. There is that much of price difference between the two and
since any print you goes through the enlarger lens its not the place
to scrimp. As with all things the chain is only as strong as its
weakest link. The final print is what matters, but it can to achieve
with lesser equipment. Most six element enlarging lenses are far
better than 4 element lenses. The main difference is usually is
contrast in fine, especially at the edges. The El- Nikkor 50mm 2.8f
is bargain at its price.

I do not have one, and I very much doubt they were made in 50mm focal
length, but I betcha an Apo-Artar would be a fine enlarging lens. And
they were dialytes: 4 air-spaced elements, IIRC.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 8:40pm up 49 days, 8:01, 2 users, load average: 2.19, 2.19, 2.12