Old August 26th 16, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Desaturation

On 2016-08-24 14:53, Tony Cooper wrote:
Sometimes bright colors add to a photograph, but there are times when
they dominate the image to the detriment of the image. I liked this
image of the girl in the red hat, but the red seemed to just take over
the image. Looking back over some old images, I decided to see what
it would look like desaturated but not to the point of being a
monochrome.

Here's both the original (2015-01-06-9A) and the desaturated version
(2015-01-06-9B).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/abn35vcs3...wqKopO-ua?dl=0

Seems to have stolen all the punch. You could have selected the hat and
desaturated in that area only (with whatever technique suits you).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8icggkzqzg...nCooRedHat.png

1 Magic Wand selection (sloppily-didn't spend much time)
2 While selected
Image | Adjustments | Hue Saturation
Desaturated the reds slightly.

This allowed the skin tones to be kept and the hat to lose its
dominance.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.