Old March 22nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Adam[_2_]

Default "1940s look" on B/W enlargement

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Thanks, Joe! I have a copy of "Zone System Manual" by Minor White (4th
ed., 1967) but haven't really looked at it seriously yet.

If you are at all scientific, you will not like that book. I know the zone
system quite well, having studied Ansel Adams' Basic Photo Series books,
both the early edition, and the "new" revised edition. But Minor White's
book is just about incomprehensible.

In that case I will move it to the bottom of the pile!

The most imposing is the textbook for the course I'm in ("Photography"
by Bruce Warren, 2nd ed.) which is 600 pages!

Well, if you really want an imposing textbook, consider "The Theory of the
Photographic Process" third edition, edited by T.H.James. Out of print, but
well worth looking for.

I'll have to wait until my budget recovers from the course I'm in now!
This is by far the most expensive course I have ever taken. NOT
counting tuition, college fees, and the textbook, I have spent over US
$400 on supplies so far, and I already owned a suitable camera (some
students had to buy a camera as well). Thanks for all your suggestions!

Adam