Old April 7th 04, 02:05 PM
William J. Slater

Default Books on Composition, developing an "Eye"?

Ian,

(from your post)
i got this link from alt.photography a couple of weeks back
me myself downloaded the whole site with webzip to read it slowly at
evenings with tea & cigarettes

I've not heard of "Webzip", what is that? Is it a download I can use
and if so do you have a URL to find it at? Some of the articles are
cut off on the right hand side of the page when I try to print them
out.

in fact there are tons of pages about composition out there waiting to be
found naturally you'll need to read 1% max of them other 99.(9)% are
repeating same things over & over again

i think it's more effective that way:
1. read some articles describing basic things
2. try to photograph keeping those ideas in your mind
3. review you own photography according to rules
4. try to shoot differently

Definitely very good suggestions. The books that I have read have
mostly assumed that the reader already knew about the basics and went
on from there. I did not know any of those things like the "Rule of
3rds" or "Golden Mean", etc. Now I will have that information to use
in assessing my efforts as well as the work of others that I like. I
knew it had to be out there but was not sure just what to search for.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill Slater