Old January 28th 05, 04:14 PM
Rod Smith

Terry Tomato writes:

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a way of
scanning...

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to scan these formats? I
already have a 35mm-capable scanner (Canon CanoScan 4200F), but
ham-fisted attempts I've made to construct a mask for it haven't been
particularly satisfactory.

If anyone knows of a particular scanner model that can scan 126 and 110
negatives, or knows of a ready-made mask I could use with my existing
scanner, it'd be much appreciated!

I've scanned both types of negatives. For 110 negatives, I used a
Polaroid SprintScan 35. This is an old model (you can pick them up on
eBay for about $25-$75) that uses an unusually simple carrier. I was able
to create a custom 110 carrier out of a couple of pieces of cardboard,
with holes cut out for the frames and taped together. This solution
worked well, within the limits of the Polaroid's capabilities.

I'm sure I could have done the same thing for the 126 negatives, but by
the time I got around to those, I'd gotten a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite
5400. What I ended up doing for most of the 126 negatives was to scan
them in the standard 35mm carrier. Because the 126 negatives are the same
height (or width, depending on the strip's orientation) as 35mm
negatives, they fit physically in the 35mm carrier, but the inter-frame
spacing is off and the tops of the frames are cropped. Most of the photos
I wanted to scan were framed too high, so cropping off the top wasn't a
big deal. As to spacing, I just did them two at a time, ejecting the
carrier and re-aligning the negatives between frames. For the few frames
that had important stuff at the top, I either cut the negative strip into
single frames and inserted them sideways (cropping one side or the other)
or I scanned them on an Epson RX500 flatbed with a transparency feature.
Because I did this without a carrier, I got some odd moire patterns, but
that was better than having peoples' heads cut off. (Obviously, none of
these were high art, just family snapshots from the '60s and '70s.)

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com