Old April 22nd 05, 01:00 AM
UncaMikey

Norm Fleming wrote:
But you might also consider one of the classic Japanese rangefinders

from
the 1970s...

I would love to have a rangefinder again, and the Olympus RC looks
great -- but it has the mercury battery problem, and you have to worry
about the seals and such on the older cameras. I've never been able to
justify getting one, since my Pentax ist with a FA 50mm f1.7 is about
the same size (or smaller and lighter) than one of those rangefinders.
It fits handily into a larger coat pocket.

I also think that the newer plastic cameras are tougher than we
realize. I had a Spotmatic for 30+ years, and yes, it was very sturdy
and heavy and metal, but it was easily scratched and banged up. The
new plastics they use are pretty impressive -- I've banged the Pentax
ist around, carried it on several trips, and it doesn't have a mark on
it. And I love the lighter weight.

*UncaMikey