Old September 22nd 03, 08:31 PM
Alfred Molon

Perhaps you should check your math, Tom.

First of all you are off by one power of ten:

1.2V x 2.3 Ah x 4 = 9.2 Wh, not 92 Wh

The Canon battery (BP-511) has an energy of 8.1 Wh. See he

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/page11.asp

In article ,
says...
Better check that math again, Alfred. The Canon battery is 7.4v, not 1.2v.
So the available power is 7.4 x 1350 (typical rating of a generic BP-511
battery) = 9990 (or 99.9 watts). Each of your AA Nimh cells is 1.2 x 2300 =
2300, so four would be 2300 x 4 or 9200 (or 92 watts). So they are actually
about the same. Then there's the question of how much power each camera
uses, which would be a much better guide to determining which will last
longer.

I have no experience with the Olympus, but I can say that two BP-511's in
the grip of my 10D powered it for my entire vacation (10 days) a couple of
weeks ago.

Tom P.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article ,

says...

Both are very capable cameras. While 5050 includes charger and

batteries, G3
charge in camera and its battery life is far longer than 4 nihm AA.

Not really. A set of four 2200 mAh NiMH has more energy than the G3
battery and will last for over 300 shots (with the LCD on).
--

Alfred Molon

--

Alfred Molon