Old August 30th 05, 07:50 AM
Mike Warren

Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
qualified as an SLR why ??

The term that seems to be used most often with cameras that
have an electronic view finder is ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex). See
rec.photo.digital.zlr.

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

In the early days of DSLRs, ZLRs were known (at least in my circles)
as prosumer cameras. That was when DSLRs were only likely to
be owned by professionals as they were so expensive.

-Mike