Old August 5th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Fuji's XF 100-400mm zoom beats Nikon's 300mm f/4.0 VR prime.

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I saw it in a magazine, a convincing win for the Fuji despite the
fact it was a zoom against a prime lens. Nikon's earlier 300mm
lenses can be had for half the price, but are not recommended as they
have no VR. Both Fuji and Nikon run about $2000.00.

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

Has that actually been documented by anybody, other than with your
personal experience?
...or is that some sort of unverified speculation?

I first heard that suggestion at a wildlife shooting lecture. The theory
is that when shooting at speeds above 1/2000 sec, you may not need VR.

that part is true.

VR does slightly slow down the frame rate.

that part is not.

Since this made sense to me I
did not research the issue, other than to ask a Nikon professional, and
he confirmed the concept.

he's wrong.

the frame rate is independent of vr.

So I guess you can call that concept based on anecdotal evidence, until
I see documentation.

read the documentation on how vr works.