Old August 5th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Fuji's XF 100-400mm zoom beats Nikon's 300mm f/4.0 VR prime.

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 19:42:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

vr and focusing are two independent systems, however, vr actually
*helps* focus tracking because the target is stabilized and not moving
all over the place.

Should be true since the lense, at least Nikons have their own processor:

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog...vr_e/index.htm

The autofocus is processed in the camera:

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog.../caf/index.htm

Nevertheless there is a short delay after pushing the shutter release
fully down while the VR set centres and commences it's new movement.

so what?

that has nothing to do with focus speed.

it's only an initial delay and once stabilized, there aren't any
further delays.

the autofocus system may also have to rack the lens, so there may be a
delay there too.

I took Peter to mean a delay between pushing the button and and the
camera taking a photograph. I presume he has shutter release set to
focus priority.

that has nothing to do with autofocus speed.

Nevertheless that is what I think he meant.

Eric Stevens