Old June 17th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Whiskers

Default Trouble seeing LCD display in sunshine, any suggestions ?

On 2007-06-15, wrote:

[...]

This problem is one that compact digicam makers need to address; it annoys
everyone I know who has ever tried to use such a camera in broad daylight.
An optical viewfinder should help, but on those few compacts so equipped
that I've tried, the optical viewfinder is very small and not very accurate
- and of course you still can't see any of the 'menus' or other
information on the LCD.

Thank you, I'll look for some hoods and if failing to find anything
suitable I'll improvise. Thanks again.

I've been doing some more web searching, and found this
http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/. The site is badly designed and difficult to
navigate, but if you click on 'Click here to enter the website' then on
'Products and ordering' and then on 'LCD sunshades', you find that they
are offering a range of products that are effectively up-market versions of
my 'slide viewer' bodge - and look a lot more useable. They aren't cheap,
but I'm tempted by 'Xtend-a-View Pro(tm) VARIABLE - LCD Sunshade & Viewer'
(part XVPRO) plus 'Xtend-a-Mount OMNI (tm) - Universal LCD Sunshade
Attachment System' (part XMomni) - if I can convince myself the expense is
justified! If your camera has a small LCD, the 'Xtend-a-View Pro(tm) MINI
- LCD Sunshade & Viewer' (part XVPROMINI) without the XMomni might be more
appropriate.

The actual dimensions of the various hoods are mentioned here
http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/Xtend-a-View_Compat_FAQ.htm. The camera
compatibility lists look very out-of-date.

A cheaper approach to the same sort of magnifier hood is offered here
http://photodon.hostasaurus.com/v4f.htm and would be more attractive if
it came in a size that matched my camera.

I found the link to Eagleeyeuk here
http://www.ptcuk.com/technical/tech_tips.htm which looks worth a bit of
a read.

--