Old January 17th 18, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

Default P&S camera with GPS?

In rec.photo.digital, on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:33:23 +0100, android

On 2018-01-12 12:12:00 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 11/01/2018 08:55, micky wrote:
I've finally started going through my 100's of pictures from last spring
-- and it's wonderful -- and I'm pleased to say that in context I can
remember where, usually exactly where, each one was taken.

But I'm 71 and I can see the day coming when I won't remember my name,
so maybe I should consider a camera with GPS. Plus even now, once in a
while, I wish I knew where a lone picture was taken.

OTOH, I'm just a tourist, not what any of you folks would call a
photographer and I like that I can put my current camera in my shirt
pocket, that it doesn't swing around and get broken, doesn't attract
muggers, and doesn't weigh much.

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

If not, what would be the smallest cheapest camera with GPS, or -- I
don't need a make and model -- how big would it be and how much would
it cost?

When I googled I got mostly dash cams, drone cams, etc. so I figured I'd
save time and ask you all.

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Syncing GPX files from mobiles is the goto solution if your camera
don't have integrated GPS.

Put something like GPSLogger on your Android device:

https://gpslogger.en.aptoide.com/

I see what you mean. It suggest 1-3 second intervals, but it seems to
me it only needs to be that fast when I'm in the car. I only take a few
pictures then. Most are taken when I'm walking around, so isn't 5
minutes good enough? At most that's a quarter mile, but more likely
only a couple hundred feet.

And sync with GPSPrune on your computer:

https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

Aha.

Thanks again.