Old October 26th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

Horse**** as usual. If you need more memory, sites like Crucial guide
the non-geek right to the correct part. Even geekish me relies on them
to be absolutely sure I don't order the wrong part as it's easy enough
to do.

non-geeks don't even know where to start looking for memory.

For example on the i7 iMac, selecting the wrong clock timings for a 1600
MHz DDR3 will cause the memory to run at 1033 or 1333 MHz. At that, the
correct timing numbers are counter intuitive.

all the more reason a non-geek doesn't want to bother.