Old April 10th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

Default What kind of bird is this?

On 2007-04-09 13:51:12 -0700, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) said:

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding
in the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

I also would say great blue heron. These are a large bird, about 46"
tall. The yellow bill and light colored neck distinguish it from the
much smaller little blue heron. It appears to be a young bird, still
with some immature plumage. The image is too small to accurately guess
the age. I can't see if it has the head plume yet.

Little blue herons have dark necks and look almost black from a
distance, although there is a much lighter calico phase. Great blues
also have a white phase, known as the great white heron or Florida
heron; also an intermediate phase called Wurdemann's heron. However,
this appears to be an immature great blue heron.

They are solitary birds, rather skittish, stalking or still-hunting in
marshes and beaches. They are very successful hunters. They seem to
take flight whenever I show up with a camera. There is one that hunts
every morning at sunrise on our beach, but I can't even approach the
window of the house without him taking off -- and he is usually 50
yards away. He will also depart if eagles, seals, or other large birds
show up. They just don't seem to like company.

And a voice that can break glass. They sure don't sound like they look.

Around my area many have become accustomed to having people close and
tend to allow people a lot closer. When rowing (a single sculling boat) I
often row slowly past maybe 10-15 feet away. They may watch me, but most
stay where they are. They often chose to fly past me no more than 8-10 feet
away from my head. Really neat birds. The fledglings we had a couple of
years ago did not seem to even notice humans. They hopped from boat to boat
with people carrying boats down and loading up on the dock. It took about a
week as I recall before they were all flying and were away from the nest.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit