Old December 22nd 14, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

Default Professionals: How Do You Ask for a Raise?????

On 12/22/2014 08:35 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Paul:
I've been an amateur/semi-pro digital photographer for
many years now, and have gotten good at the art of photography.

I do one Christmas party for a largish corporation, for $100. It
ends up being about 4 hours of my time, with me downloading all
the images into their laptop.

I've don't the gig 4 times now, and was thinking of raising my
rate.

What would be a reasonable raise, and how should I ask for it?

I have no clue, but would offer up this: My grandson is getting
married next November and they just hired the wedding photographer for
$2,500. And that was the cheap one.... the guy that every talks about
wanted $5,000.

One wedding I went to was pretty much ruined by a professional photographer.

After the ceremony, we all had to wait over an hour for the dinner and
reception.

He had to get every possible combination of "standard pose" photos of
all the folks in the wedding party.

Some of the best wedding photos I've seen were just good candid shots
taken by a guest who just happened to know how to use a camera.

Although it was way too funny to have ruined things, I still recall my
own wedding. As I anxiously watched my wife walking down the isle, the
photographer stepped into the isle to photographer her.

I got to see his butt and did not get to see her smiling face until I
got the photo.