Old August 10th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Nikon - CCD tricks with mirrors.

frederick wrote:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/7138663

or
http://tinyurl.com/2xextp

This has been posted on DPReview.

Reading the patent is an awkward way to figure out what they are talking
about, has someone written an article about this thing in plain language?

Also quicktime doesn't load the drawings properly, it would be helpful
to see wtf this is.

One thing I noticed is they talk about this Nikon invention being used
in video cameras to avoid bayer filters not still cameras so I'm not
sure it's relevant to still photography. I seem to recall this has been
implemented in video cameras, though I'm certainly not sure, maybe that
was something else.

Interesting comments:
"According to the second embodiment, as in the case of the first
embodiment, since the red, blue, and green light passes through the same
opening, the photon utilization efficiency of the light receiving
element can be increased. In addition, the red, blue, and green light is
in the same spatial position, so that false color does not appear."

So, although photosite size is probably small, this is (at least
partially) offset by not losing light through rgb filters. Patent was
applied for in 2003.

Canon also proposed a more conventional "foveon" type sensor in about
2000, but it hasn't eventuated in a (Canon) camera yet.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net