Old September 20th 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default Surfing Novices

On 9/19/2017 11:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 19, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Sep 19, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 9/19/2017 9:54 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 9/19/2017 7:55 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 9/19/2017 8:49 AM, PeterN wrote:

...totally gigantic snip...

That is exactly my point. Some images need cropping, others don't. It
depends on what I am trying to convey.
I am showing that we really do not have different points on the
subject of cropping. That is: cropping is simply one technique for
conveying the concept in an image. In the case of surfers, I am
conveying one concept, and you prefer to convey a different concept.
After our discussion I think I understand the concept you and Ron
like to convey. That said, I like to convey a different concept in my
images, than you. That does not make me wrong, nor does it make you
wrong. What would make me wrong would be if I did not convey what I
intended to convey.

I wrote a few responses, but discarded them because they
could have been construed as personally critical. Instead
I'll just this quick question:

Getting back to the beginning, what did you intend to convey
with your original post/photo?

I have a thick skin, and do not consider well intentioned comments about
my photography, as adverse personal criticism.
As can be gleaned from my original posting statement, I was protesting
against the long drift from photography.
As for what I intended to convey, it was simply a surfing wipe-out. The
Duck pointed out that I could have posted a better one, and you, I think
correctly, pointed out that my image was almost meaningless to a surfer.
I take my photography seriously,as it it the means by which I forget
about certain personal, and unpleasant realities. I do not, and will not
even try to sell my images, as that would be work. For the same reason,
I have refused several offers from stock publishers to allow my images
to be published. I do however, enter my images in competitions, and some
have done reasonably well in local and regional competitions. I recently
had some images accepted in an international PSA competition. When
making any image I usually try to please only my taste. I inquired about
surfers preferences, because I hope to shoot a surfing competition, and
donate the images to the organization running the competition. I well
appreciate that participants in various sports can have preferences
peculiar to that sport. Similarly, in my golfing days, when I was
shooting images of holes for a local golf magazine, in exchange for
free rounds of golf, showed the subtleties that made the holes desirable.

BTW
Does this sequence contain the type of images surfers prefer?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wd5d4s83qdf2w51/AADsDIPQuwPN-FDIQIcREOgwa?dl=0

The sequence not so much. #1, #2, & #5 would not be worthy of consideration. #3 is the most acceptable of the group, and #4 would be very good had the surfer been in focus, I would think of that as an AF-C tracking issue.

Consider shots such as these:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJccuOhXcAER0Dp.jpg
http://i.cdn-surfline.com/surfnews/images/2016/09_september/nsb-640/full/00-Smyrna_EricGeiselmanU79A4373Watts.jpg
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/sl-coldfusion-static-prod/surfnews/images/2011/08_august/padang_new/full/MICK-CURLEY_SURFLINE_RIPCURLCUP_5-8-2011_WALSHY-3539.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/yab6btue

...or this, which seems related to your first two shots.
http://nysea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/nysea-balaram-stack-F-stop-Surfline.png

Most are really nice images. Where did yu take them?

--
PeterN