Old February 16th 05, 04:17 PM
Alan Browne

Ryadia wrote:
Colin D wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

snip

Regarding the D20 print:
========================

1) The detail in the middle of the flower is very good. But I know a
good 35mm
film shot* will get as much 'detail' esp. in the center. Where this
image BEATS
35mm hands down is the absence of grain / noise. It is clean and
contrasty (for
the subject).

(Great lens, Velvia/Provia 100, good light).

Lost me here. I thought you were looking at a digital image? Where
does film come in?

snip

So far I have found nothing printed here above 1-2 lp/mm, but I'll
keep looking.
(I don't have a proper loupe for measuring this but I can get a good
feel with
a ruler and mag glass).

A 20D image printed at 2 lp/mm will be about 600mm x 900mm. Therefore,
if your observation of no more than 2 lp/mm can be seen on the print,
then there has been no detail added when upsizing the image, as Ryadia
claims.

Colin

He can measure all he likes, Colin. This is the reason for providing a
final print and not a file, even an image file on the 'net. Live with it
mate, the printer does 2 lp/mm, nothing to do with image resolution. 240
megabyte TIFF file before printing has considerably more detail in it
than the 4 meg file it started as... And none of it is digital noise,
either.

I'm not sure how you set your printer but surely it was at at least 100 dpi,
probably higher?