Old July 26th 04, 03:28 AM

Default Would like input on my thumbnail webpage design

On 25 Jul 2004 18:06:52 -0700, Phil Stripling
wrote:
First, I think it's too much trouble to do. You're going to be creating and
maintaining these pages, and I think you've set yourself up for too much
trouble.

Well, yeah, I do have to spend some time to create the pages, but I don't see
having to spend time in the future to maintain the pages. The trip that I
went on has already passed, so it's not like any details of it will change in
the future.

Second, I'm not sure how interested your many viewers will be in the
descriptions on your thumbnail page. Having the descriptions out of order,
as you do, is an aggravation for people just browsing who want a quick idea
what the photo is about.

OK, I see what you are saying. I might have a description for photo #1,
followed by a description for photos #2 and #8 (if both photos have the same
description), followed by a description for photo #3... I could just not
"bundle" the descriptions together, and have separate descriptions for each
photo, even if some are the same. So the descriptions would be in order,
although there may still be some gaps in the numbers, because not all of my
photos will have descriptions.

If you want to do it the way you have it set up, go ahead and give it a
shot. You may have a real winner that takes the Web by storm.

Lol, well my intent isn't to try launch a new trend on the web, but I wouldn't
complain if that happens. The good thing is that this is just a personal
site, so if people end up not liking my design, then it won't be a big deal.

Or you may
have a labor of love that becomes just laborious. My suspicion is that the
more automated you make it the more likely you are to keep at it for more
than a month. I could be wrong, though.

I actually *am* going to write perl scripts to generate most of my HTML pages.
So once I figure out a design and write up the code for one page, then it
shouldn't be too much work after that.