Old July 26th 04, 02:06 AM
Phil Stripling

Default Would like input on my thumbnail webpage design

writes:

So if you look at a thumbnail and want to know what the description is,
just look below all of the thumbnails and find the number of the
thumbnail (which will probably be bolded so that it's easier to find).
Oh yeah, my example page isn't set up for it, but you will be able to
click on each thumbnail, which will take you to another page with a
larger version of the image and the same description that appeared on the
thumbnail page.

What do you think of this design? Is it OK, or would you be annoyed at
looking at a thumbnail and then having to move your eyes to the bottom of the
screen to find its description? Any other problems?

First, I think it's too much trouble to do. You're going to be creating and
maintaining these pages, and I think you've set yourself up for too much
trouble.

Second, I'm not sure how interested your many viewers will be in the
descriptions on your thumbnail page. Having the descriptions out of order,
as you do, is an aggravation for people just browsing who want a quick idea
what the photo is about.

I think you've reinvented the wheel, but that it has been done better. My
suggestion is a layout I often see. A page of nothing but thumbnails, each
one clickable, and a link to succeeding pages, if any. If you click on a
thumbnail, you see the full-size image with any description. Each page with
the full size photo has a back arrow (previous full-size image), up arrow
(return to the index page with the thumbnail of that photo, and a forward
arrow (next full size image).

I've forgotten how many free photo display sites I've seen this on, but it
seems to be a standard, and I think sticking to standards makes it easier
for people who are dropping by your site.

I suggest a different index page of thumbnails for each topic, and a
text-only site index giving all topics and sub-topics. Each page should
have a master navigation section which lets people coming in from a search
engine easily find your 'real' home page in case they want to see more.

If you want to do it the way you have it set up, go ahead and give it a
shot. You may have a real winner that takes the Web by storm. Or you may
have a labor of love that becomes just laborious. My suspicion is that the
more automated you make it the more likely you are to keep at it for more
than a month. I could be wrong, though.