Old March 28th 05, 07:15 AM
Aaron J. Grier

Default [SI] ugly comments

- disclaimers:
I like gritty urban subjects; there's something appealing to me in the
devolved rawness of manmade structures, especially when it's
unintentional as a result of neglect, time, or just plain ignorance.
it's not the same beauty as nature, but it's somehow ticklish to my
brain.

- Colin Donoghue:
the guy's vest matches the fence-ish netting and the traffic cone. at
least there are some trees. by themselves there are a lot of visually
appealing elements but the mish-mash assembly is what makes this scene
ugly.

- Jim Kramer:
when I was young I used to stare at these on streets and parking lots
while on my way to/from school. this doesn't seem ugly at all and
tickles my love of urban grit. I wonder how well a slide of similar
subjects would come out...

- R. Schenck:
hard for me to tell what they're saying by just looking at the
picture. what did you use to capture this? I'm impressed that you
got both the background and the foreground to come out, although the
color range seems a bit flat... which is odd seeing as the background
is very high contrast.

- Tom Hudson:
the depth-of-field is perfect. what other little bits of kipple are
lying in those pools? what remnants of "modern" civilization are
slowly decaying in small piles behind that TV?

- Rich Pos:
amusing... looks staged? the figures converging to the stop sign is a
nice (intended?) touch to an otherwise stark composition.

- Ken Tough:
the glinting metal against the soft green background is a nice
contrast. this image conjures the ugliest thoughts to me of them all.

- Owamanga!:
a delorean? an ugly hack job, to be sure. I'd be curious to see what
the original image looked like.

- Alan Browne:
american-style ugliness... in canada! (PFK would work too.) I'd
argue the brick isn't ugly enough, but that's me.

- Bowser:
sprawl. grey, ugly, compressed. the composition seems too easy,
though.

- Aaron Grier:
the easter connection was completely unintentional.

- Ken Nadvornick:
how bleh. good composition. it looks a little under-printed, though,
like there should either be more contrast, or it should be just a tad
darker. the color tint does throw me off a little and add to the
mood; I converted to B&W and it doesn't seem nearly so sinister.

- Walt Hanks:
maybe those three ball doohickeys on the background powerlines count
as ugliness in an otherwise pleasant shot?

- Bob Hickey:
damn that's some nice grit. what is this a detail from? how far off
do the values represented vary from reality?
--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
The United States is the one true country. The US is just. The US