Old January 24th 04, 11:27 PM
Dan Quinn

Default nose/eye fume irritation and cheap ventilation

wrote

But -- fumes? Why are there fumes of any sort, to start with? You do
not need to either vent fumes or suffer from fumes in any way if your
darkroom materials release no "fumes".

A processing system that contains no acid gives off no smell (or
'fumes'.) Non-acid fixers are cheap and easy to work with.

"Non-acid fixers..." That is more correct. I think the word alkaline
is to often used. The sodium thiosulfate and nothing more fix I used
was actually very slightly acid. It usually measured ph 6.8 .
Currently I'm working with Photographer's Formulary 60% ammonium
thiosulfate. I would class the concentrate as oderless, fumeless. At
a 1:31 dilution and in a tray, I can detect no oder. At this time, as
with the sodium, no additives are used. I use fix one-shot. I've
not yet measured the ph of the ammonium. I'd guess it's close
to neutral, ph7.
As I've stated I'm not affected by the fumes but am glad to be
done with the oder. You'd think Kodak, Ilford, or Agfa would have
made somthing of fumless, oderless processing decades ago.

My website has articles on this subject, under the 'technical' heading
of the table of contents.

Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.