Old January 4th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

Default Canon M3

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:49:43 -0500, rwalker
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 19:27:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 5:29:17 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 16:54:20 UTC-5, rwalker wrote:
My primary camera is a Canon 5D3. I decided recently that I wanted a
smaller camera for short trips, carrying around casually. I finally
decided on a Canon M3. I looked around in here for some discussion
about it, but don't see anything. So far, I don't have any dedicated
M lenses. I do have an EF adapter, and have been using my Canon F.14
50 mm EF, and a Rokinon 8mm wide angle. The wide angle is fun. Size
wise, it reminds me of my old Pentax Auto 110, 110-film SLR. Couple
of things I notice though, is that if you have big hands, this thing
is almost too small. Very easy to hit controls when you are just
trying to hold it. The other thing that I've found bothers me is the
electronic view finder. I hate holding a camera at arm's length to
look at the display. So I bought the electronic view finder. If this
is any indication of EVFs, I'm happy to stick with an SLR for serious
phnotography. I can't make out if it's in sharp focus or not. Anybody
else notice these things?

Once things are in focus, I've got no problem with the pictures it
produces.

Poor choice with so many other more competent small cameras on the market. Canon and Nikon are also-rans when it comes to anything compact except the Canon G series which have always been at the top of the compact fixed-lens pile.
Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now as good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with a DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

Hi,

I am very happy with my Canon G7X II in terms of image quality and flexibility. It is not quite a jacket pocket camera, but does readily fit into a coat pocket. Its"lens speed" at the tele end is great for indoor scenes where one cannot get close enough indoors, e.g. at religious functions. (I formerly used Nikon and Canon SLRs in my younger years.)
Mort Linder

Thanks for a nice, infromational, and polite answer. Civil
conversation is pretty much a lost art.

Actually, the more I play with the M3, the more I like it.