Old September 4th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default (OT) the earth moved

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 14:15:26 +1200, Me wrote:
: On 4/09/2010 12:48 p.m., Ofnuts wrote:
: On 04/09/2010 02:46, Me wrote:
: We had a magnitude 7.1 earthquake, epicentre close (25 miles) from my
: home in (Christchurch NZ) at about 4:30 this morning. It was a very rude
: way to start the day. The largest quake I'd felt before - when close to
: the epicentre - was about magnitude 5.9.
: Many aftershocks, even as I type this.
: No reported deaths, and only two reported serious injuries, despite
: close proximity to a city of ~400,000 people.
: This quake was about the same magnitude as Port-Au-Prince.
:
: Take pictures :-)
:
:
: There's almost nothing to see around where I live, a few masonry garden
: walls damaged, some brick facades of old buildings and old brick
: chimneys down, cracks / distortions in the roads that aren't
: particularly unusual or interesting - except they weren't there yesterday.
: It's a really beautiful "normal" spring morning - it seems very strange.

It's good to hear that you came through it OK. The U.S. TV netwotks are saying
that your strict building codes did a good job of limiting the damage. By
contrast, Port-au-Prince has lax building codes, so virtually every building
in town was damaged.

Bob