Old August 29th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bill Graham wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
B. Colton wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more
about the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and
less of the posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting
faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the things that
formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
the last 2000 years.

I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by
two
different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the
ignorance
of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".

As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.

There is a huge difference between the relationship between the Soviets
and
Afghans and the U.S. and Afghans over the years since the middle of the
19th
century. I advise reading up on it. (Wikipedia has some nice write-ups) I
certainly wouldn't lump us together as, "Invaded by two superpowers". In
general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly aid to
the Afghans over the years.

While doing nothing effective to stop the distortion of their economy
and the financing of their criminal warlords by the free world's
insatiable demand for black market heroin.

--
Chris Malcolm

Yes. Well, damned if you do, and damned if you don't......We are always
being castigated for "interfering" in the affairs of others, and Afghanistan
is one of those cases where we have avoided that. (probably because we don't
think they have any oil) So now they are bitching at us for that?