Old November 9th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
F.Harper

Default picking an intro level P&S

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 09:40:03 -0800, Jürgen Exner wrote:

SMS wrote:
For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

One issue with Sony: all their cameras are using the proprietary Memory
Stick, which is often not supported by build-in card readers in e.g.
laptops and other devices. Not a big problem, just something to be aware
of.

An upside: I retrofitted an older Sony camera with a 4GB Micro-SDHC Class-6 and
MicroSD to Memory-Stick-Duo to Memory-Stick-Pro adapter set (3 nestings). An
instant 4gigs for $18 (card + adapters). Works just fine, probably much faster
than an original Memory-Stick-Pro, though I've not compared, educated guessing.
The camera reports the full capacity even though it was originally designed to
only accept up to 1GB memory-sticks, the largest size available when that camera
was made. Plus I get to use the Micro-SDs for holding a ton of audio-books and
tunes for my MP3 player until I need that space for photos, then just reformat
or delete the audio files on-the-fly. Listen to tunes and books while out on a
trek and shooting photos unless that memory space is needed. The audio-files can
always be replaced. The chance to get an award-winning photo may never happen
again. It's nice knowing there's that instant emergency backup storage space
available when I might need it, working double-duty like that.

The MicroSD cards also work just fine in all my other cameras with the
always-included Micro-SD to SD adapter that comes with them. Micro-SD cards and
adapters are a wonderful thing. Sometimes when purchasing new SD cards I now get
the MicroSD versions instead, just because of their multi-device adaptability.
Prices per gig can even be lower sometimes too because they're not in as high
demand. They can run a little bit slower (slightly) but if not often using
continuous (to card capacity) high-speed burst shooting modes they suffice just
fine.

You can make incompatibility work to your benefit. It just takes some
researching and purchasing savvy when looking for a work-around, then finding a
work-around that works and works well.

Yes MicroSD cards are amazingly small. For the average klutz it would be easy to
lose them. If I can keep track of a collector's postage-stamp and carry it
safely through 3 continents until I get home a Micro-SD card is even more
resilient and easy to keep track of. So much depends on the acuity and
discernment of the owner and how much they really value what they own. I have no
problems with the Micro-SD card size in this regard (losing them), others may
not be as observant and aware of their world around them. Micro-SD cards might
teach them to be more aware. Maybe that'll rub-off on their photography skills
too.