Old November 9th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_3_]

Default picking an intro level P&S

SMS wrote:

For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

Yes, this is a bit pricey for this purpose.

Also look at the Fuji FINEPIX J150W, which has the 28mm wide-angle lens,
but lacks image-stabilization, lacks an optical viewfinder, and lacks
af-assist.

Don't mind the IS (helps only for about 1/2 a stop usually, right?),
neither the lack of optical viewfinder, but af-assist is usually helpful.

Personally I'd get the Canon A590 IS, and buy them some Eneloop
batteries and a charger. While Li-Ion batteries are highly desirable, at
the low end like that you're getting a very de-featured model in that
price range. Forget about the 28mm as well.

Yes, it is not wide angle. But wide angle aspect can be one of the
features to compromise. The A590 IS* is actually a quite good P&S
camera, but I am hesitant about the need for extra batteries. You see,
the intended recipient is a retired elderly who is not tech. savvy and I
want to keep the peripherals to the minimum, along with the weight.

I am presently also looking at cybershot DSC-S750. 7 MP camera, but
Steve's digicams web page shows some purple fringing .. which might not
be such a big issue for this particular situation.

* Earlier this year I gifted the A570 IS to my brother. A590 has only
more pixels, if I am not mistaken, and a bit lower fps while making a
movie. Otherwise it is similar to A570. But take great pictures though!
Hardly any purple fringing.

--
Please remove all caps,if any, from my email address to get the correct
one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.