Old June 7th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon 18-200 VR DX lens performance with extension tubes?

I know there are specific macro lens available and it's the best solution if
you can afford one. The issue with me is that I want one good all-around
lens to lug on a backpacking expedition and I also want to take macro
photographs. I'm looking to conserve weight.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
news
James P. Clark wrote:
Has anyone had experience with the new Nikon 18-200 VR DX lens with
extension tubes? I'm interested in doing some macro photography and I
know that some lenses perform better than others with extension tubes. I
don't own the lens currently but I'm considering a future purchase. I own
the Kenko DG extension tube set with my Nikon D100 camera and 24-120 VR
lens.
Thanks for your help in advance!

I can't say for sure, but I would expect a lot of light loss, as well as
increased distortion as that lens has a large magnification factor (11x).
Why
not consider buying a Micro lens for the job ... you should get one much
cheaper then what you paid for the 18-200 VRII job.

The Nikkor 60mm Micro is an excellent lens. If you really want to narrow
depth of field, consider a longer focal length lens, like the 105mm Micro
(costs a bit more).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse