Old May 1st 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default What lens for wildlife photography?

On 4/30/2018 4:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 4/30/2018 12:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 30/04/2018 13:31, Savageduck wrote:

Big cats are a start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

That's a fantastic image! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvzrovv5d4gvmr/DSC_3633-E.jpg

They seem to know that they are photogenic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpfv07cuiki518s/DSC_3647.jpg

So does this guy:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp33a9q8ffbiefz/20180421_animals%20birds%20reptile_2909-Edit.jpg?dl=0

However, he seems to be a tad oversharpened, and over saturated. I guess that
was done in post since you couldn’t possibly get a shot that noisy and
oversaturated out of a D500. I see from the EXIF that the saturation was
pegged at +15, the vibrance at +12, and then you hit it with Dehaze at +17.
It might be to your taste, but not to mine.

And this guy thinks he is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bte8bx2hib56q4b/_DSC8755-Edit.jpg?dl=0

He would be if he wasn’t OoF, I guess you were shooting through glass. It
is also somewhat oversaturated. Again, I note that saturation is set at +66,
and vibrance at +14! There are a few other settings I find odd, but I guess
that is your process. I just find it strange to see such a low quality shot
(to my eye) from a D800.

Both are indeed low quality shots. They were saved in sRGB at low
quality. As to my oversaturation, I am not shooting for a catalog, or
scientific journal. I like doing an impression of the critters. But we
have had that discussion before. I do appreciate your comments, even
though we have different tastes.

--
PeterN