Old October 1st 04, 08:38 PM
hba1c

I believe Kodak Portra is the latest version of the film you are
describing. It comes in different versions. The one I will be using
should be "reduced contrast". I hope that will solve the white and
black issue. I am planning to use ISO 400 or 800 so I can hand hold
the camera and us a fast enough shutter speed to eliminate camera
shake. The posed shots will be done with studio lights; two 600ws
Powerlights and an 1200 power pack with 2 heads. Again that should
take care of camera shake. I might even take my boom arm to use for
highlights. I have used this same equipment with 35mm. I had a
couple poster size enlargements made that the recipient loved. A
photographer might not have loved them but the subject did. Hanging
on a wall in a large room they were fine. I also tend to use a soft
focus filter. That seems to help.

I am an amateur and guest at the wedding with some professional
equipment and a little knowledge doing a favor for two friends. I
would never agree to do a wedding for money.

"Jeremy" wrote in message nk.net...
"hba1c" wrote in message
om...

As I said they want to do the "posed" shots before the ceremony
because they will not have time between the ceremony and reception.

If you lack experience and proper equipment, it will probably show up more
on the posed shots than on the candids. People are going to have a certain
level of expectation on those formal shots, which they would not have on
candids.

If your photos are intended for enlargement, I would try to do as much work
as possible using a tripod. That may be a bit clumsy, but you have to work
to closer tolerances in 35mm. Any camera shake will show up when the photos
are blown up, and the lab can't help you because it cannot be corrected.

I haven't shot a wedding in 30 years, so I can't give you current film
recommendations. I used Vericolor back then, because it was a low contrast
film, with excellent flesh tones. You want to use a low contrast emulsion
so that the detail in the bride's dress and the groom's tux is visible. If
you were to use a typical consumer emulsion, you run the risk that the dress
is displayed as one big blob of "white," and the tux is all black--and there
is nothing worse than blown-out highlights in wedding photos.

found a "pro pack" of Porta 160NC 135-8 (10 rolls). Since they are
not looking for the numerous shots a real wedding photographer would
take, I was thinking I would use a couple of those rolls for the posed
shots with studio lights before the ceremony and for the shots coming
down the aisle with my flash. Then I could load a roll of ISO 400 or
800 for the ceremony. I could use another roll of 135-8 for when they
start out of the church. Then I would use a roll of 160NC or Reala (I
have had good luck with Reala) for the reception. When I last talked
with the bride, she only told me about a handful of shots she actually
wanted so I think this will more than cover it without spending a huge
amount of money on film. It also means that I can still be a "guest"
for some of the time!

The processing will be done by a professional lab
http://www.profilmet.com/.

Does this sound like a workable plan?